Sichtbar auch für Gäste !
Beiträge in diesem Bereich sind auch für Gäste sichtbar
I've seen a lot of conversions of the Soviet 2-unit diesel locomotive TE7 from Atlas Minitrains ("Transsibirische Eisenbahn"). Honestly, no one satisfied me (sorry ), so I'd like to show how this Atlas train set should be motorized, lighted and digitized I made this conversion about 2 year ago.
I know that it's hard to find a suitable chassis for this train set. It's hard, but it isn't impossible. TE7 is a 2-unit 12-axle locomotive, so it need 2 6-axle chassis. Some use for this BR 103/151 chassis, but it's not the best solution because this chassis is too long. Pivot-to-pivot and axle-to-axle distance is also too long, and TE7 looks, for me, very bad on this chassis. Usage of a shorter 4-axle BR 110/BR 143 chassis is also not a good idea because axle count for TE7 in this case is incorrect.
I've found a solution that is closest to prototype - to use BR 143 chassis with installed 3-axle bogies from Ludmilla (Marklin 88132, 88133 etc.). It's a more expensive option because you have to buy spare parts from Ludmilla, but the result is worth it, because you get a prototypical motorized TE7 in the end. To be precise, 3-axle Ludmilla bogies are slightly shorter than TE7 bogies, and there's a small misalignment of the outer axles, but it's almost invisible on completely assembled locomotive.
I milled out central part of the plow to make space for couplers. It is possible to install both types of couplers - Marklin and MTL (US style). Despite that Marklin couplers are standard option for Z scale users in Europe, MTL couplers are much more prototypical for Soviet train models:
Additionally, MTL couplers allow to connect locomotive units and wagons very closely, closer than with Marklin couplers. USSR train models are very few in Z scale and produced only by a private small series manufacturers (including me), so MTL couplers is an "unofficial" standard for Soviet models in Z scale.
Headlights and taillights is a very important option of any locomotive model. It's not so easy to equip TE7 with lighting, but I have found a perfect solution for this too. I made 1 mm holes for lower headlights, and 1,5 mm for upper light. It was quite tricky to drill a hole for last one, I had to drill diagonally. Then I cut small pieces of fiber optic and glued them to SMD LEDs with wired outputs using cyanoacrylic glue. I used 0402 LED for upper light, and unique bi-color 0805 LED's for lower lights (warm white/red). Front side and the roof of the cabin was painted in black from the inner side. I even modeled a cabin interior (however it's hard to see it on the photos).
I used 2x VELMO LDS206247-I decoders. One decoder per one unit. I soldered out flexible metal contacts from decoders and soldered light outputs directly to the decoder's PCB's.
I replaced original non-rotating bogies with ones from Marklin IV-V era passenger cars. They are very close to Soviet bogies for passenger cars. Marklin couples were replaced with MTL. Additionally I painted triple tail lights with red paint and door handles with silver.
Please see attached pictures. TE7 train set is depicted here in combination with our USSR standard passenger car.